.ini files not deleting

ctearney

.ini files not deleting

Post by ctearney » 29. Apr 2014, 16:18

Good Day, we have been experiencing an issue for the past few months that we have contacted support on but have yet to get resolved. The issue is with the computer .ini files not being removed from the system after it has been deactivated and deleted from the system. We are using the OS Installer component, specifically the Self Provisioning component, which is having an issue with this. When a system is removed from the console as the hardware was removed from the environment the ini for the device remains. If a technician attempts to image that same system later on the self provisioning process fails causing the imaging process to fail as it already sees the system due to the ini file.

I have tried all forms of deactivating and deleting making sure all boxes are checked though it has no impact. I have a ticket 82513 on this but it is on hold an am unable to update it, this is why I am posting here to see if anyone has any suggestions?

**also to note, if a system is entered into the system outside of the self provisioning method the object gets deleted properly from what I can tell.

Hendrik_Ambrosius

Re: .ini files not deleting

Post by Hendrik_Ambrosius » 29. Apr 2014, 22:12

I just tried this with my system (Empirum 15.1) and it seems to work OK for PXE online mode.
Only when switching to PXE offline I run into this issue. Would PXE online be an option for you?

If not I suggest this workaround:
Add a new external command via Tools/Properties/External Tools:
Name: Delete OS.INI
Command: cmd.exe /Cdel \\<your-master-server>\empinst$\wizard\os\auto\%Mac8%\os.ini

When deleting a client first delete the OS.INI via right-click on the client and run "external tools/delete os.ini".
Then delete the client.

P.S.: In case you cannot manage your incident from the portal send an email to helpdesk@matrix42.com with your incident no in the subject.

Regards
Hendrik
Hendrik Ambrosius / Senior Presales Consultant
Mobile: +49 172 408 4447 | hendrik.ambrosius@matrix42.com
Matrix42 GmbH | Elbinger Straße 7 | 60487 Frankfurt am Main | Germany | www.matrix42.com

Disclaimer: I participate in this forum on a voluntary basis. Views expressed are not necessarily those of Matrix42 or of the support team.

ctearney

Post by ctearney » 29. Apr 2014, 23:46

Thank you for the feedback. The Service mode within DBUTIL is set to Online for all the depots so we should be running online unless there is somewhere else to set this (will check the documentation). I have added the suggested external command and have a system imaging now for testing and will let you know the results.

...and thank you for heads up on the case item, I will shoot them an email on it :wink:

ctearney

Post by ctearney » 30. Apr 2014, 00:43

I tried the work around fix and though the external command worked in deleting the OS.ini for the specified MAC/ PC the associated .ini file remained in the values folder after deactivating and deleting the object entirely from the console/DB. Other than ensuring the Service Mode option of "online" is selected is there another way to ensure we are using online PXE mode?

Hendrik_Ambrosius

Post by Hendrik_Ambrosius » 30. Apr 2014, 08:40

OK, but the values-INI should not interfere with the self provisioning.
You could add another DEL command to delete this file as well.

To ensure the PXE service is running in ONLINE mode run debugview on the server/depot server and check for database login messages.
In offline mode it will show various file access messages instead.

After switching the service mode a reinstallation of the service is recommended.
Hendrik Ambrosius / Senior Presales Consultant
Mobile: +49 172 408 4447 | hendrik.ambrosius@matrix42.com
Matrix42 GmbH | Elbinger Straße 7 | 60487 Frankfurt am Main | Germany | www.matrix42.com

Disclaimer: I participate in this forum on a voluntary basis. Views expressed are not necessarily those of Matrix42 or of the support team.

ctearney

Post by ctearney » 01. May 2014, 19:53

So after some testing across the 20+ depots that we have so far we are seeing that those locations sharing a server with File/Print services are the locations getting the "TL/XML command error: Could not open destination ini /mounts/configurator/values/machinevalues/tomkinsbp/example.ini"

Those locations with dedicated depots (primarily windows 7 pcs) do not have the issue. The ini file can be present and the imaging process will continue without issue. Because of this I suspect an issue with the security/ configuration of the F/P servers but will not troubleshoot too far as we are replacing those depots with stand alone desktop units like the others.

I just need to follow up on the case then regarding the file ini not deleting when the system is deactivated and deleted from the console.

Return to “Miscellaneous”