Managing Available Assets & their Inventories

ctearney

Managing Available Assets & their Inventories

Post by ctearney » 24. Jan 2019, 18:52

We have Empirum importing data into Service Store so that we can receive the hardware & software information being collected by the Empirum inventory. We then use this data to help manage our software licensing which works well by alerting us of systems that may have software installed but not licensed (i.e. service not assigned). We have one problem though when an asset gets returned to inventory (mark it as available) the inventory data remains and throws our used license count off because the system does not see a difference between an asset marked Available (unassigned and in inventory) with one marked Active (deployed and in use by a client).

Other than reimaging the device before placing the asset back into inventory or deleting the asset and recreating it from Service Store, is ther an easier way to manage this?

Hendrik_Ambrosius

Re: Managing Available Assets & their Inventories

Post by Hendrik_Ambrosius » 24. Jan 2019, 19:43

It works as designed - if the software is installed it must be licensed. Even if the PC is stored somewhere and not active.
So wiping the device prior to switching it to "available" could make sense because you stay compliant.
Hendrik Ambrosius / Senior Presales Consultant
Mobile: +49 172 408 4447 | hendrik.ambrosius@matrix42.com
Matrix42 GmbH | Elbinger Straße 7 | 60487 Frankfurt am Main | Germany | www.matrix42.com

Disclaimer: I participate in this forum on a voluntary basis. Views expressed are not necessarily those of Matrix42 or of the support team.

ctearney

Post by ctearney » 29. Jan 2019, 15:09

Thank you for the reply. I am going to test the EOL function in Empirum to see if we can make the process easy for the technicians to recover the assets.

**Edit**
Does the EOL function work with WinPE or only the EPE boot? If its only EPE at the moment are there plans to make the EOL function useable under WinPE?

Hendrik_Ambrosius

Post by Hendrik_Ambrosius » 29. Jan 2019, 17:50

AFAIK it´s not available yet.
But you can create your own PowerShell package to wipe the HDD in the meantime.
Hendrik Ambrosius / Senior Presales Consultant
Mobile: +49 172 408 4447 | hendrik.ambrosius@matrix42.com
Matrix42 GmbH | Elbinger Straße 7 | 60487 Frankfurt am Main | Germany | www.matrix42.com

Disclaimer: I participate in this forum on a voluntary basis. Views expressed are not necessarily those of Matrix42 or of the support team.

ctearney

Post by ctearney » 29. Jan 2019, 23:31

The EPE still works and its very straight forward with that process so I am going to let the techs give it a try and get their feedback. In the end I need Service Store to update its object record for that device to show that no software is installed. I will go ahead an put an idea for this :D

Thanks again for the feedback

https://ideas.matrix42.com/ideas/CLMPLF-I-86

Return to “Service Catalog”