VPP Apps and Tags

ctearney

VPP Apps and Tags

Post by ctearney » 26. Jan 2018, 21:21

Has anyone seen where Silverback will auto assign a VPP App License to a device even though the app is not installed on the device? We recently purchased a few apps for iOS devices that actually cost money so we only want specific devices to get these apps/licenses. When we add the app to an existing tag with existing devices attached the devices are automatically getting assigned one of these "special" licenses ( we can see this under the Admin<VPP App Licensing section of the console).

I attached a screenshot of what I see in the console and I have confirmed that the "automatically push to managed devices" option is disabled. This is strange behavior that I have not seen before with SB.

**cant upload screenshot as I guess I have exceeded my attachment quota.

ctearney

Re: VPP Apps and Tags

Post by ctearney » 24. Feb 2018, 00:32

To round out the post and answer the question I had. The "auto-Assigning" of licenses is an expected feature with Silverback. This means that we have to create individual tags for device groups that have limited app licenses. Not the preferred approach as we are now managing many app tags but it works.

Someone else had come across the same hurdle and submitted an "IDEA" for a change which would allow the admin to assign the license or to assign the license on Install (my preferred approach).

https://ideas.matrix42.com/ideas/SVB-I-58

Return to “Silverback by Matrix42”