Software installs into User Profile

ctearney

Software installs into User Profile

Post by ctearney » 31. Aug 2017, 19:28

We have several pieces of software that do not have a machine level installation, the install places all files into the users %AppData% directory. I am trying to figure out how to create a package that will call the install for each user as they log in and I thought it was with using the /AW switch but that is not working. Is there another {Installation] command that I should be using in conjunction with the /AW switch to initiate the install?

ctearney

Re: Software installs into User Profile

Post by ctearney » 01. Sep 2017, 23:27

I think I found my answer in another post or at least its pointing me in the right direction. I have tried the "CLIENT" tag on the #Set:Installation section but not the portion related to modifying the Setup.inf file to include copying the install files to another folder so that they may be called later. It would be really nice if the documentation had this in there and if it is already, then it should be easier to find. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=15265&p=61851&hili ... 1d1#p61851

[Product]
; ReplaceEnv <Variable>

#Set:Product
#Set:Installation, CLIENT DONTDELETE
#Set:Deinstallation, DELETE
#Reg:OnUninstallProduct, DELETE
#Reg:Product
#Ini:Product
#Security:Product

[Set:Product]

[Set:Installation]
AddMeter -1
Call "%Src%\Yammer-ia32-1.1.2.exe"
If "%ErrorLevel%" <> "0" Then "SET:InstallationError" EndIf

MaMa82

Re: Software installs into User Profile

Post by MaMa82 » 11. Sep 2018, 07:31

Hi there!

That's simple logic.
If you take a look at the [Application] Section based on an unattended template (Emp v18) you will have to recognize the following values:
ReinstallString="%CommonSetupDir%\Setup.exe" "%App%\%SetupInfDir%\Setup.inf"
ApplicationDir=%CommonAppData%\$Matrix42Scripts$\%DeveloperName%\%ProductName%\%Version%

The user part installation is just like a reinstall. Therefor the local stored Setup.inf (%CommonAppData%\$Matrix42Scripts$\%DeveloperName%\%ProductName%\%Version%\%SetupInfDir%\Setup.inf) will be used.

In addition to that the value
SrcDir=..
,also declared in the Application section, is a relativ path based from the called Setup.inf (%CommonAppData%\$Matrix42Scripts$\%DeveloperName%\%ProductName%\%Version%\%SetupInfDir%\Setup.inf).
In this case (reinstall) the src value is equal to the app value.

If You call an installer in the user part, the called installer will have to be cached locally (in your case in the app or src directory).

Sections that should be processed during a user part also, will have to be flagged with the CLIENT option.
This is mandatory too, if you copy files into an userprofile using the internal 1: function.

I have to admit - the Empirum script language is not the most reasonable one in this case. :mrgreen: :lol:
Grüße MaMa82

PS: EDV steht nicht für "Elektronische Datenverarbeitung", sondern vielmehr für "ENDE DER VERNUNFT"! :roll:

Return to “Packaging”