Empirum v14 - DHCP & PXE step by step?

Moderator: jknoth

Blue407

Empirum v14 - DHCP & PXE step by step?

Post by Blue407 » 29. Jun 2012, 09:54

Ok, I'm going round and round in circles.

Back to basics:-

We have a Empirum v14 Depot Server. I have been informed by Head Office that its set to compatibility mode.

Assuming PXE is installed correctly on the server (Windows DHCP is also running on this server and is used for all local PC's), I have no VLAN's and one subnet.

Clients will be Windows 7, no XP and run the latest Empirum agents.

Exactly what DHCP options should I set in Windows DHCP for this to work?

If a Dell laptop boots to PXE, can somebody explain what actually happens step by step? what it tries to do, what ports it uses and how it works?

Should I expect to see a DHCP lease in the Windows DHCP server for the PXE client?

Phadda

Re: Empirum v14 - DHCP & PXE step by step?

Post by Phadda » 29. Jun 2012, 10:30

Option 060 - PXEClient - Value is PXEClient
Option 043 - Vendor Specific Info - Value is the IP Address of the PXE Server as a generated String with the PXEOpt43Gen.exe
Option xxx - Empirumserver - Value is the Computername of the Empirumserver - Option number must be set in the DBUtil and is the same you must use it for the DHCP Option

Blue407

Post by Blue407 » 29. Jun 2012, 10:44

Phadda wrote:Option 060 - PXEClient - Value is PXEClient
Option 043 - Vendor Specific Info - Value is the IP Address of the PXE Server as a generated String with the PXEOpt43Gen.exe
Option xxx - Empirumserver - Value is the Computername of the Empirumserver - Option number must be set in the DBUtil and is the same you must use it for the DHCP Option
Thanks for the comprehensive list :)

1. Where can I get the PXEOpt43.Gen.exe file from?
2. I do not have access to DBUtil as I only have a local Depot server. Can I see the value for this anywhere else such as in the dhcp_setup file on the local depot server?

Phadda

Post by Phadda » 29. Jun 2012, 11:35

1. only available at EMPIRUMMASTER or the installation disk ... Empirum\AddOns\DhcpOption43StringGenerator\PXEOpt43Gen.exe or use it from my skydrive http://sdrv.ms/LzfZuA
2. dont know, you define the dhcp option only at the EMPIRUMMASTER server with the dbutil

Return to “OS-Installer”