Missing applications installed per user (HKCU)

ricardoduarte

Missing applications installed per user (HKCU)

Post by ricardoduarte » 10. Jul 2017, 09:38

Hi there,

My inventory tool only looks for software at HKLM. missing the software that is installed under the user context (HKCU).
As a side problem, it also misses ThinApp applications that users have registered to their desktop, because they get registered under HKCU.
Is this a limitation of the program or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

Hendrik_Ambrosius

Re: Missing applications installed per user (HKCU)

Post by Hendrik_Ambrosius » 10. Jul 2017, 09:55

This is a limitation of the product.
I suggest you create an idea at ideas.matrix42.com
Hendrik Ambrosius / Senior Presales Consultant
Mobile: +49 172 408 4447 | hendrik.ambrosius@matrix42.com
Matrix42 GmbH | Elbinger Straße 7 | 60487 Frankfurt am Main | Germany | www.matrix42.com

Disclaimer: I participate in this forum on a voluntary basis. Views expressed are not necessarily those of Matrix42 or of the support team.

ricardoduarte

Post by ricardoduarte » 11. Jul 2017, 14:21

This looks like a very easy change to implement, as the same logic applied to HKLM could be applied to HKCU as well, just by changing the root key.
Path and keys are all the same.

Followed your advice and entered an idea for it. Hope it gets implemented.

Hendrik_Ambrosius

Post by Hendrik_Ambrosius » 11. Jul 2017, 21:05

I guess the challenge is to track the HKCU results for each user.
So the inventory either needs admin rights to scan the profile of each user or each inventory scan running in user mode just gets the current user applications that must be added to the computer inventory scan without deleting the results from other users that logged in to the same system before.
Hendrik Ambrosius / Senior Presales Consultant
Mobile: +49 172 408 4447 | hendrik.ambrosius@matrix42.com
Matrix42 GmbH | Elbinger Straße 7 | 60487 Frankfurt am Main | Germany | www.matrix42.com

Disclaimer: I participate in this forum on a voluntary basis. Views expressed are not necessarily those of Matrix42 or of the support team.

ctearney

Post by ctearney » 22. Feb 2018, 22:37

Adding to this as we are actively looking to address this now as well since some of the other Systems Management tools are beginning to have this, or similar, function. For us, we don't care at this time if we know whether the software is installed under user A or user B's profile. So for now what we are working on is building a script that runs under the current logged in user context and will capture the data in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall and replicates it to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall but with a addendum to the header so that we may identify it as a UserBased installation.

Once the data has been placed into the HKLM ARP table the standard Empirum INV scan will pick it up so that it will show up on the Inventory. Its not the cleanest way of doing it but unless someone has a better approach this what we are shooting for.

We have also engaged Professional Services for assistance with this as I am sure they would be able to do a cleaner job with it than myself.

Return to “Inventory”