Standardization of app deployment

MBone

Standardization of app deployment

Post by MBone » 11. Jul 2023, 17:03

Hello there,
We're trying to shift to standardizing as much of our application installs as we can through Empirum to get away from older batch files, powershell scripts, previous deployment methods, etc.

I am running into a problem with some of our software deployments when it detects a previous version is installed on the client before it reaches my "DoesRegKeyExist" If/Then arguments in the Set:Product step. I am finding that as soon as setup.exe is launched and pointed to our setup.inf file, previous versions are being found and I'm being prompted to uninstall the old version or proceed with the new version install. 9/10 I would go ahead with the uninstall but some of our cybersecurity applications require an uninstall password or token that I am unable to feed into the process at the appropriate time to uninstall correctly, it just fails because the password/token aren't supplied. In these instances, I would prefer if setup.exe didn't prompt to remove the old version and proceed to my Set:Product step.

I am hopeful to find a way to avoid prompts on the client side so I can assign all of our standard software to our client configuration groups so everything gets it as a baseline, unless it already exists, then it should AbortSilent with an ErrorLog entry of "X is already installed". Does anyone have an insight on how to get past this hump?

G23

Re: Standardization of app deployment

Post by G23 » 02. Aug 2023, 11:51

sounds like an interesting security tool. just an idea, how about registrating the software as installed software in matrix with a registry key, and upgrade it afterwards to a new revision?

Return to “Packaging”